Disclaimer: These are my views and do not reflect the views of the Peace Corps.

Saturday, October 16, 2010

Sin aire, sin sonido, sin substancia!


(Me with my dirty-one-week-of-sickness beard)

Hi everyone. I am currently in my hammock, happy as a clam. I feel somewhat like a clam too, as the hammock is fully wrapped around me, except for an opening at the top (maybe more like a burrito, man i miss Mexican food!)

In other news, i was sick for about a week and now I'm better. So it goes. The other day, while i sat outside with my host family, I saw a bus go through our village, past the house. I looked up to see two white faces staring at me. For a moment we all shared the exact same thought, "what on earth (pg version) are you doing here?" likely coupled with the same surprised expression. It was a strange moment and i'm still not exactly sure what to make of it. Was i feeling a bit territorial? Have i been here that long that the sight of a white person is a spectacle? Either way it felt unique.

I begin another week of observation next week. I hope by the end i will know who i will be working with for the coming year and what grades i will be teaching with any luck beginning the following week. It's been a bit of a rocky start, but it seems like things are moving at last.

P.S. The title is a line from el amor by neruda. I'm still being enraptured by the captain's verses.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers