Disclaimer: These are my views and do not reflect the views of the Peace Corps.

Friday, May 6, 2011

J'ai de la force!

(Ionesco)

Cambodian Greetings

There are those that wave,
Those that idly stare,
Those that tilt their heads,
Those that shout "Hello!"
And those that grunt as they pass by,
With expectant eyes demanding a reply.

I've been at site for awhile. Not much has happened that I consider to be out of the ordinary. Although, a few days ago I went downstairs and discovered monks in my living room. I'm pretty sure it was an engagement ceremony for my older host sister. The wedding's going to be at the house in a few weeks, which means lots of loud music and people. Not exactly my scene, but it'll be interesting being part of all of the ceremonies and such.

It's really been hot here. For the next four days the weather forecast showed a high of 35 degrees. I just looked up 35 degrees Celsius in Fahrenheit and discovered, much to my chagrin, that it will be 95 degrees here, with high humidity. The other day, when the day was at its hottest, I was dancing a lover's dance with my fan in my hammock, and the power died. Cambodia is trying to kill me. I drank a lot of water, took a sweat bath, then a bucket shower, and repeated this until night came.

My days are typically spent fighting the heat, teaching (when possible), praying for rain, playing guitar, singing, reading, running, ranting, watching planet earth (with French subtitles, why? why not?), eating fish soup (which I've grown to despise), relapsing into practicing handstands, writing things (see above), eating mangoes (which are heavenly), and trying not to get eaten by insects.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers